21 September 2009

Footage of Mexico Subway Shooting released

Watch the Video

The shooting at the Balderas station in central Mexico City happened after police stopped Luis Felipe Hernandez Castillo, 38, from writing graffiti on the wall of one of the subway platforms.

Two people died in the shootout including a police officer. Five of the injured suffered gunshot wounds, and three others were hurt by the stampeding crowds, officials said.

Hernandez Castillo was writing "Este gobierno de criminales," or "this government of criminals," Mexico City district attorney Miguel Angel Mancera said. As police tried to stop him, Hernandez Castillo drew a .38 special handgun and began firing. Castillo as an agriculturalist from the state of Jalisco.

The Mexican government on Saturday posted security camera footage of the shooting. It shows a busy subway platform as the train pulls into the station just before 5:15 p.m. Friday. As the train comes to a stop, there is a disturbance in the crowd, and Hernandez Castillo is seen shooting at an officer. The crowd disperses, and the officer runs out of view of the camera. The officer, who was a bank policeman, is later seen on the footage lying dead, face down on the platform. The footage shows a man in a white shirt running off the train and trying to wrestle Hernandez Castillo. The man chases Hernandez Castillo around the platform. He frequently falls either because he slips or is trying to avoid being shot. The man is on the floor facing Hernandez Castillo, about to get up and try to grab him, when he is shot in the head and falls to the ground.


At 5:23 p.m., the camera shows first one, then two, then three plain-clothes police getting into position on the platform. Within moments they rush Hernandez Castillo and pull him out of the train, with nearly a dozen police officers then wrestling him to the ground.

Full report : CNN


15 September 2009

Afghan special op leaves commando,interpreter dead

At least 4 people including a British soldier and an Afghan journalist were killed during an operation to extract a New York Times reporter who was kidnapped while covering last week's controversial NATO airstrike on an oil-container in the Kunduz province. Stephen Farrell was freed on wednesday in the pre-dawn military raid in Afghanistan. "Several people" were killed in the operation that also resulted in the death of Farrell's interpreter, a British commando and a civilian.

"There were bullets all around us. I could hear British and Afghan voices," Farrell, a 46-year-old dual Irish-British citizen, told the paper. Farrell and Munadi ran outside during the firefight. At the end of a wall, Munadi went forward, shouting: "Journalist! Journalist!" but dropped in a hail of bullets, Farrell said. He didn't know whether the shots came from allied or militant fire. Munadi's death (along with the commando) ruins any jubilance arising from the incident. Sultan was 34 and the father of two children, had worked regularly with The Times and other news organizations and was in the process of studying for a master’s degree in public policy in Germany. Back briefly in Afghanistan, he had returned to his role as a translator.

The success of any special operation depends not just on the achievement of the objective, but also to ensure minimal casualties on the SOF side. I'm not disparaging the audacious commandos.

Details are still somewhat scanty, especially about enemy casualties. When the fighting first broke out, several Taliban ran out of the room to confront the special forces. It's definitely safe to say a large no. of them must have been killed. On a slightly "casual" note, Farrell, who holds dual Irish-British citizenship looks (and dresses more Afghan) while Sultan Munadi looks more Western. As an NY Times reporter, their ordeal is described extensively and with more detail by NY Times, and page 2 especially offers extensive detail on how they were captured.

10 September 2009

Ellen DeGeneres replaces Paula Abdul - PERMANENTLY



Emmy-winning talk show host Ellen DeGeneres was named Wednesday night as the replacement for Paula Abdul on "American Idol." DeGeneres will take her seat on the judges panel alongside Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi (yay, she's back) when the top-rated show returns to Fox in January. Degeneres, who hosts a popular day-time talk show (and later came out on it) has had previous experience with Idol. She hosted the 2007 version of "Idol Gives Back," a fund-raiser for children's charities, and was signed on to do the 2008 edition before dropping out for scheduling reasons.

Abdul, meanwhile, has a busy time ahead. She''ll be hosting VH1's "Divas" concert and she's done two episodes of Lifetime's drama "Drop Dead Diva." She responded to the news last night by posting a note on Twitter with a link to a promo for VH1's "Divas," poking fun at being unemployed and that she got the hosting gig at an employment agency.

"I'm thrilled to be the new judge on 'American Idol'" DeGeneres said in a statement Wednesday night. "I've watched since the beginning, and I've always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I'll save from not having to text in my vote."

"Idol" executive producer Cecile Frot-Coutaz said DeGeneres brings "an immense warmth and compassion that is almost palpable." DeGeneres, who is keeping her daytime gig, will also be able to promote the show on her talk show, which airs around the country."I'm going to have a day job and a night job," she told her audience. "The times we're living ... in we're all doing that."

It's great to see Fox executives sticking to their guns. One thing I had been fearing was the reinstatement of Abdul. It's not like I have got anything against her, but had it not been for the new changes in Idol (specifically the addition of an other judge,Kara DioGuardi) I wouldn't have watched Idol 2009. It was just too predictable. The spice in the show was out since 2006 and these changes would definitely rivet more attention and bring more viewers.

Source - NY Times

05 September 2009

Madonna's killer biceps sexy? Hell no !

Photobucket

The ever stout Miss In-shape Madonna has drawn attention again(no, not for baby-shopping in Senegal) but for her incredibly stringy muscles. Seeing her chubby arms in the '95 pic on the right, I had to remind myself : Hey this is Madonna. So expecting some thing like the Elissa Schlichter image, I checked out her muscle bound arms. They are freaking scary ! And don't get started on the ugliness of it.


It's a fact that a lot of guys have a thing for girls who take care of themselves, whether it's keeping themselves in shape or working out at the gym. But if these muscles were intended to be sexy, it's far from it. With all the veins bursting out with little body fat, shelooks anorexic.
Leslie Bonci, director of sports nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, after seeing the photos,"Her body fat is minimal, and she does a lot of strength training workouts that are going to build her muscles to look more visible." She says that Madonna's amount of body fat is obviously low.

"When muscles look that way, it's often the result of pretty restrictive eating and dehydration," Bonci says, pointing out that bodybuilders get the puffed vein look by restricting their fluid intake. Of course, she says, taken too far and a person could collapse.
Perhaps she should stick to her routine she had when she left this Kabbalah center. Muscle bound, no doubt, but without making people cringe. Madonna's muscle show has brought attention to Michelle Obama's muscles, reportedly to be 10 inch in size.

Old madge simply proves she is untamable even @ 50, but if she keeps up this up, it's gonna be the gym that's going to see the end of the Jump.

Also! Check out a photo gallery dedicated to Madonna and her muscles